Regarding Pusat Bahasa Teikyo

Fundamentally, we offer two kinds of courses for preparatory studies to Japan: 12 Months Course and 20 Months Course.  For people who are only interested in studying Japanese, the Japanese Language Specialized Course is available as well.
※We decided not to offer 12 months course for 2022. You may consider to join 20 months course which will start on April 2022.
※ We will reopen the 12-months course in 2023.

It is in January for the 12 Months Course and April for the 20 Months Course.
※We decided not to offer 12 months course for 2022. You may consider to join 20 months course which will start on April 2022.
※ We will reopen the 12-months course in 2023.

You must be a Malaysian National with 11 years (or more) of formal education.  Besides that, there is a minimum grade to fulfill for SPM/IGCSE/GCE/O-Level/UEC holders.

Click here for "Application Guidelines"

No, but you have to be at least 18 years of age by the time of admission into a University/College/Vocational School in Japan. 

As long as you have completed the 11th year of the course, then yes, you can. However, please bear in mind that you have to be 18 years old by the time of admission into the University/College/Vocational School in Japan.

Yes, you can. Most students come in without prior experience in learning Japanese. 

Your Japanese language ability will be assessed through our placement test before you are admitted into the course. Please feel free to contact us to schedule a test and counseling session. 

As a reference, you would be at a level sufficient to pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N2 for the 12 Months Course; and N1 for the 20 Months Course. If you are planning to go for undergraduate studies in Japan, we highly recommend you to join the 20 Months Course. 

We are very sorry to tell you that switching from art to science is impossible if you wish to study the sciences in university. The subjects of the university entrance examination are different for arts and sciences. At Pusat Bahasa Teikyo, there are also different entrance requirements for joining arts and science. If you are really interested in science, we recommend you to go to professional training colleges. However, the converse is possible.

Our fees are cheaper compared to Japanese Language Schools in Japan and the study hours are longer for the other subjects (Maths, Physics etc.). This is advantageous if a person has completed Form 5 and aims to go to a national university.

Click here to see "Let's compare"

Unfortunately, we only offer full time courses during daytime.

There are about 20 students per class.
All the teachers are of Japanese Nationality. They teach Japanese Language, and subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Japan and the World. As of January 2021, there is a total of 24 teachers [Japanese – 23, Malaysian (part time English teacher)-1].
All subjects at PBT are taught in Japanese. In Japanese Universities, you will also be studying in the Japanese Language as well, so you will be trained to think and learn in Japanese here at PBT. Please do not worry as classes will be 100% in Japanese and the lecturers will guide you should you have any problems.

Most students go to school by LRT, KTM or bus. It is about 5 minutes on foot from  the Mid Valley KTM station to the nearest bus stop.

No, but we  have contacts of the owners of apartments/ boarding houses that are near to the school.
No, there is not. However, there is a supermarket, restaurant and café in Japan Club Kuala Lumpur.

No, you do not. It is included in the tuition fees.

There are no scholarships available for studying at Pusat Bahasa Teikyo. However, at the end of the course, the ‘Razak Scholarship’ will be awarded to students who have performed exceptionally well throughout the course. In year 2020, RM5000 was awarded to 2 students.
Unfortunately, we do not provide loans for students. PTPTN is also not applicable.

We have a total of 8 weeks of school holiday in a year, including Chinese New Year and Hari Raya.

Yes. Your lecturer in charge will assist you in choosing your university, taking into account your aspirations and academic ability.
Absolutely. Our lecturers will support you all the way, from sitting for the university entrance test to obtaining a study abroad visa.
Yes. We provide recommendation letters to several universities and professional training colleges, including Teikyo University. We will assess whether you are eligible to receive our recommendation by your results and attendance at Pusat Bahasa Teikyo.
Click here for "Recommendation system for entry"

Regarding Further Studies to Japan

Generally, it takes 4 years for undergraduate degree, 2 years for master’s degree and 2 years for doctoral degree. As for professional training colleges, the courses are usually 2 or 3 years long. 

Most universities conduct their classes in Japanese. However, a small amount of universities conduct their classes in English.

First, you need to sit for the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU). After that, you will sit for the entrance examination of your chosen university.

Generally, students go to the designated university in Japan to sit for the entrance exam. However, some universities hold their examinations in Malaysia and some universities do not have entrance examinations.

The EJU Exam is an examination to assess the level of Japanese Language and other subjects (Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Japan and the World) of international students who wish to enter a Japanese University. 

It is held twice a year (June and November), and there are various venues around the world. Our students sit for EJU in Kuala Lumpur.

Although some professional training colleges do not require EJU examination scores, we still recommend you to sit for it as the EJU examination score is one of the conditions for obtaining a study abroad visa.
Unfortunately, you cannot. As Japanese universities require you to have at least 12 years of formal education beforehand, and completion of Form 5 only amounts to 11 years of formal education, you have to supplement with at least another year at a Japanese Language preparatory centre.
No. Unless the said Japanese Language school has been designated as a ‘Preparatory Course’ by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, you do not have the qualifications to apply for a Japanese university. As of 24 October 2017, there are 24 schools in Japan and 1 school outside of Japan (Pusat Bahasa Teikyo) that provides the recognized preparatory course.

If you have completed 12 years of formal education, you are eligible to apply to a Japanese University. However, you still need to acquire the Japanese language skills in order to comprehend the lessons. Also, if you need to sit for subjects such as Mathematics, Physics etc. in EJU, we kindly advise you to join our course.

As a general guideline, you should obtain a pass for Japanese Language Proficiency Test N2, and 200 points and above for EJU Japanese Language. Some universities may have a higher requirement. If you complete the course at Pusat Bahasa Teikyo, you will have enough Japanese language skills.

When submitting the application, you will be asked to submit your high school’s (Form 4,5) results, but SPM results are not necessary. Generally, the high school results will not have any effect on your application. The acceptance is determined by your EJU results and the entrance examination results. 

The tuition fees for Japanese universities are not very expensive. For national universities, the tuition fee is about 35,000 yen (= about RM21,400) per year. Private university tuition fees vary depending on the major, but it costs from about 1.5 ~ 2.0 times of national universities. However, it is still much cheaper than national/public universities in Western countries. (JPY 1,000 = RM 37)
I heard that the tuition fees for Japanese universities are expensive, but how much do they cost approximately?

Most universities have tuition fee waivers for privately-financed international students. For example, many national and public universities offer 50% off the first year of tuition fees.  Private universities offer about 30% to 50 % off; professional training colleges offer 0% to 50% off tuition fees. From the second year onwards, the tuition fee waivers will be based on your academic achievements within the university.
There are many scholarships for studying in Japanese universities. One of them is JASSO’s “Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students”. 48,000 yen is awarded monthly to high scorers in the EJU Examination for the first year of university. The scholarship may then be extended to up to 4 years (depending on the student’s grades in university from the 2nd year onwards). In the November 2016 EJU Examination, 15 people from Pusat Bahasa Teikyo Malaysia received this scholarship.
The cost of living in Japan varies depending on region. On average, it is about RM3500 per month. However, in big cities such as Tokyo, living costs may go up to RM4000.
You are allowed to work part time for up to 28 hours per week (8 hours per day during summer holidays). The hourly wage is higher compared to that of Malaysia; roughly 800 to 1000 yen (RM30 – RM37) per hour depending on the region and industry. However, it is important to prioritize your studies.
It depends on the university. National universities usually have student dormitories that foreign students can move into with a cheap housing fee for at least the first year. For private universities, it varies between each university so you need to check with them.
You can register for a bank account easily. However, you may not be able to register for a mobile phone number and internet access as guarantors are required for minors. You should consult with the International Student Division of the university.
There are still not many halal restaurants, so many of the Muslims students cook their own meals. However, halal restaurants are increasing recently. There are mosques in urban areas, but not much in rural areas. There are also places of religious service in the university, but many Muslim students seem to prefer to pray at home.
Universities and professional training colleges will support you in job hunting activities. Your Japanese language ability, expertise and skills are what will be needed in getting a work visa. Many Pusat Bahasa Teikyo graduates are currently employed in Japan.